And below that, a listing of some amps, as per:
Overview Table with concise data.
Use this (recommended): The Marstedt Table, a Google-doc Spreadsheet. Maintained by user Marstedt.
OR the table below. (split in three parts to be readable)
However, it has been designated as being of lesser value... But info under the table might still be informative.
(AMP-4-PS-HV + AMP-7-PS ENTRIES ARE PRELIMINARY !!)
Check relevant item in Forum for more info/data.
Contact 41hz.com to acquire the TDA2500 module.
The AMP-7-PS was planned but does not exist: get an AMP-15-PS-XP, which is almost the same.
(if FETs can be replaced by the amp-7 FETs it will be, in essence, an amp-7-PS)
The amp-6-PS is 'obsolete'; cannot be ordered anymore (only maybe if you contact 41hz.com); just take an AMP-6-Basic which is more cmpact and just as good.
Part 1 of 3
|AMP....||Euro||Chip||SND Quality||Ch.||Max Vdc||PS type||HB/ FB||Can Bridge?||Can Par.?|
Part 2 of 3
Consider the Power-output ratings for MUSIC, and not for a continuous signal like a 1kHz test-tone. Some might be able to take it, but it's probably best to consider it as Music-Power.
Often, amps are tested with 'pink-noise', which has the characteristics of 'average' music.
A continuous 1kHz signal (for instance) is quite hard on an amplifier, because it has about 5 upto 20 times the (music) power content. (depends on type of music and your personal EQ settings)
Also, Pmax is used for the peaks (often the bass) so while normally some music might be on average 10W, there will be peaks of 40-80W, then Pmax of the used amp should also be around 40-80W (or it will 'clip' = heavy distortion)
But if you measure the power delivered (interval of 30 seconds), it will still average out to that 10W.
For most, normal music in the living-room averages out to only less than 5W per channel.....
Be sure to read Jan's article too:
|AMP....||<0.03% THD+N||Max. @10%||Power THD+N||@1% THD+N||Max.-||Bridged||Max. Par.||Type PCB||Relay ?||Inductors|
|2 / 4 / 8Ω||4Ω||8Ω||2Ω||8Ω||4Ω|
Output Powers could be higher: restrained by max. +/-60Vdc PS.
Part 3 of 3
- SND Quality = Measure of how good it is. (worst 41hz-amp is still a LOT better than any average good A/B amp, and makes your loudspeakers come alive !)
- Good = just very good
- Great = smooooth, veeery low noise
- Terrific = great & lots of power
- CH. = nr. of channels. And yes, 2 = stereo
- PS type, Sym. means Symmetrical=+/-xxVdc= plus AND minus Udc.
- HB = Half-Bridge (standard Push-Pull configuration)
- FB = Full-bridge, does not need a symmetrical power supply = efficient.
- Par = Outputs can be paralleled
- PS = Power Supply (Y=rectifier+caps on board, only transformer needed)
- ExtraPS = Does it need extra power-supplies/voltages
- Basic = Is it a 'basic' kit (i.e. quick/simpler build)
- Starter = Is it a starter kit, like, not to much or no SMT components (also basic)
- SMT = Surface Mount Type. also called SMD ....Devices
- Built = Is a built & tested one available (unusual)
- Max & Power = Read as Max.Power over 2 columms
FYI (and also look in/check the datasheet!):
- is already fully bridged
- (PCB-)outputs can -probably/unconfirmed- be paralleled, = -after- the inductors. (when DC-offset <10mV)
- power output will -only- increase if you lower speaker impedance
- can be bridged, see info in AMP-1 Assembly Instructions, Bridging
- is already fully bridged.
- (PCB-)outputs can be paralleled, = -after- the inductors. (when DC-offset <10mV. has auto DC-offset calibration)
- all 4-ch. if need be. Power output will -only- increase if you lower speaker impedance)
- is already fully bridged.
- (PCB-)outputs can be paralleled, = -after- the inductors. (when DC-offset <10mV)
- power output will -only- increase if you lower speaker impedance)
TP2050, 2-ch. (power stage of TK2050 chipset)
- can operate in Half (SE) and Full Bridge (BTL). only Full Bridge used on AMP-4-PS, AMP-11xx
- (in Half Bridge mode, it could/might drive 4 speakers SE-with-CAP, like on datasheet STA517B)
- outputs can be paralleled, -before- the inductors (already done on AMP11xx)
- -can- be replaced by STA505 or for a lot more power, a STA517B (chip available in store) (for use in AMP-4-PS-HV, 11-HV (in Shop) types)
- two AMP-11-HVs seem to be able to be paralleled on outputs; output inductors inductance must then be doubled, output power will double (with same voltage, very lower speaker impedance required), NOT CONFIRMED (or tested) YET, this might be possible with TP2050 too. Keep an eye on the Forum.
STA517B, High Power replacement of TP2050
- in 4ch. mode, SE: mode 4x90W @ THD+N=10%, 8Ω, 54Vdc (with output CAP., so , not recommended (SE mode+CAP.)) SE mode has higher distortion, not advised to use.
- in 2ch. mode, BTL: 2x 180W @ THD+N=10%, 8Ω, 54Vdc
- in 1ch. mode, BTL paralleled: 1x 360W @ THD+N=10%, 4Ω, 55Vdc
- for Audiophile quality sound, THD+N=0.01%, reduce power ratings on average with 40% (i.e. 4x50W, 2x100W, 1x200W)
- as per datasheet, it can do 6,5A (typical) per channel (SE, a HB). In stereo mode (2xFB, BTL), it can sink/source 6,5A (one HB 'out', other 'in'). In BTL, paralleled mode (AMP-11-HV) it can do 13A (for peaks)....TP2050/STA505: 7A.
- can be bridged, uses external BIG MOSFets
- power capability of these type of AMPs (2, 8) have been recently upped (not seen in shop yet) by ca. 50%, by using much better MOSFets. (IRF..4228/4321) Now a 2Ω load is better attainable too.
- can be bridged, uses external BIG MOSFets
- power capability of these type of AMPs (7, Truepath, not the AMP-15x) have been recently upped (not in shop yet) by ca. 50%, by using much better MOSFets. (IRF..4228/4321) Now a 2Ω load is better attainable too.
ALL OPTIONS CONSIDERING:
- with the STA517B, in essence, the AMP-4-PS-HV has it all. Recommended ! (contact 41hz first to acquire, or look at forum thread "amp4-HV" for the upgraded parts), not in the Shop to order straight away. (yet)
- with the TAA4100A, the AMP-9-Basic's price/performance and building wise, is very hard to beat ( not 2 but 4x 80Wmax = unique; no gain setting = easy; gain is 30dB; auto or manual DC-offset setting; works from 12 upto 28Vdc; inout protection.
- is to order in the Shop, even a assembled one (not always available)
Unless you want/need serious power, then AMP-2/7/15x or TruePath.
Or have other requirements: other/all amps are nice and good !!
You can have your AMP built & boxed: Pre-built AMPs
(at the moment, new orders are on halt)
AMP-1 (with TA2022)
Assembly of AMP-1 ....or.... Shop for AMP-1
AMP-2 (with TC2001+TP2350)
Assembly of AMP-2 ....or.... Shop for AMP-2
AMP-3 (with TA2021B)
Assembly of AMP-3 ....or.... Shop for AMP-3....or.... Shop for assembled AMP-3
AMP-32 + 32-PS
Assembly of 32, 32PS ....or.... Shop for AMP-32, -32-PS ....or.... Shop for AMP-32, -32-PS
AMP-4-PS (with TC2001+TP2050)
Assembly of AMP-4-PS ....or.... Shop for AMP-4-PS
AMP-5-PS (with TA2022)
Assembly of AMP-5-PS ....or.... Shop for AMP-5-PS
AMP-6-PS (with TA2020)
Assembly of AMP-6-PS ....or.... Shop for AMP-6-PS
Assembly of AMP-6-B ....or.... Shop for AMP-6-B ....or.... Shop for assembled AMP-6-B
AMP-7 (with TA3020, HighPower AMP)
Assembly of AMP-7 ....or.... Shop for AMP-7
AMP-8 (HighPower version of AMP-2)
Assembly of AMP-8 ....or.... Shop for AMP-8
Assembly of AMP-9-PS ....or.... Shop for AMP-9-PS-LV ....or.... Shop for AMP-9-PS-HV
AMP-9-basic (4-channel, compact, easy build)
Assembly of AMP-9-B ....or.... Shop for AMP-9-B
Assembly of AMP-10-PS ....or.... Shop for AMP-10-PS
AMP-10-PS-basic (relay, ready-made inductors)
Assembly of AMP-10-PS-B ....or.... Shop for AMP-10-PS-B
AMP-11 (mono, TC2001+TP2050)
Assembly of AMP-11 ....or.... Shop for AMP-11 ....or.... Shop for AMP-11-+ ....or.... Shop for AMP-11-HV: In the Shop, art.834
Assembly of AMP-11-LV ....or.... Shop for AMP-11-LV
Assembly of AMP-15-PS ....or.... Shop for AMP-15-PS
Only needs 1 power transformer added
TruePath (with TA3020)
Assembly of Truepath ....or.... Shop for Truepath
You CAN have your amp built & boxed: Pre-built Amps
Available on request.
This module is a part of a complete AMP.
It contains the Tripath modulator and drivers for the PowerMOSFETS.
Assembly of TDA2500-module ....or.... Shop TDA2500: Future....ask
41hz-AMPs built in housing/casing, by fellow DIY-rs. For Inspiration! Just hit this link!