Now, a new version has been developed: AMP15-PS-XP with significantly higher output current capacity, making it suitabe also for 4 ohm loads
- Maximum power with 4 ohm load in the 2x300W class
- The new AMP15-PS-XP has four 30Amp transistors instead of the dual 9Amp transistors used on AMP15-PS
- The footprint is the same as before, 160x100 mm
- AMP15-PS-XP is suitable for 4 ohm loads, with up to +/-60V supply (2x42VAC)
- Essentially the same layout, with some modifications done to fit the higher power transistors
- On the AMP15-PS-XP, there are toroids, wound with Litz wire, instead of ready-made inductors
- As before, there is an on-board, integrated power supply with heavy duty 27.000uF capacitors and onboard supplies for 5V and VN10.
In terms of THD+N, the AMP15-PS-XP shares the excellent performance of the AMP15-PS, THD+N measures near 0.005%THD+N at 10W, 1kHz into eight ohm load!
Like with the AMP15-PS, the noise floor is typically 120dB below the main signal. Dead quiet.
The AMP15-PS-XP significantly outperforms the original Tripath TA3020 designs, in some respects, with almost an order of magnitude!
Measurements on the original Tripath TA3020 reference design, shown here as a comparison. THD+N is typically in the order of 0.02%
Like other Tripath based amps, the AMP15-PS-XP has very high efficiency, low losses, but this one is perhaps exceptional: while testing, the amplifier was running at 50Wrms for long periods without any heat sink at all, just bare transistors with nothing attached, and they still they remained at a temperature of around 40-45C!
AMP15-PS-XP will start selling in the beginning of october. The price will be the same as for the current AMP15-PS.